What Denture Seals Mean for Denture Comfort
If you’re new to wearing dentures, it can take some time to get used to having them on. While most well-fitting dentures don’t typically require adhesive, some people feel more comfortable applying some before putting on their dentures. Denture seal strips are one type of denture adhesive that are found to be a quick and easy solution to keeping dentures in place and can also give wearers an extra layer of assurance throughout the day. Learn more about denture strips and how they can help minimize discomfort for wearers.
What Are Denture Adhesives?
Denture adhesives are creams, powders or seal strips that are used to hold dentures in place.1 They can be applied in seconds and work to help keep your dentures in all day long. If you’re not sure what kind of denture adhesive would be best for you, consult with your dentist to see what they recommend.
Why Do People Use Denture Adhesives?
Dentures that are custom fitted for your mouth can stay in place without the use of adhesives.1 A film of saliva is needed for dentures to stick but denture adhesives can be used to provide additional adhesion.1 Here are some reasons why denture adhesives may be useful:1,3
- Dry mouth or xerostomia: People who cannot produce enough saliva may find it difficult to get dentures to stick.1 Check with your dental professional for guidance.
- Helping your dentures last longer: One study shows that using denture adhesives can improve denture retention.3 The same study also found that adhesives can help denture wearers with chewing tough foods.
- Keeping food particles out: Denture adhesives form a tight seal between your gums and dentures to keep food particles from sticking in the area.1 Food particles that get stuck can also cause denture discomfort, and adhesives can help to minimize the chances of experiencing pain.
Can Denture Adhesives be Used to Fix Ill-Fitting Dentures?
Dentures aren’t meant to last forever. The quality of a denture can degrade over time, and dental professionals can recommend when replacements are needed.1 A worn-out or ill-fitting denture may feel more loose in your mouth and can cause problems like mouth sores and bone loss if not replaced.1 If you find that you are applying denture adhesives more than once a day or need them to eat, it might be time to get fitted for a new set of dentures.1 Denture adhesives work to provide temporary relief for ill-fitting dentures, but the best solution is to work with a dental health professional on getting a replacement.1
The Difference Between Denture Adhesive Creams, Powders and Strips
Denture adhesive creams, powders and strips all serve the same function, but adhesive strips may be helpful if you have trouble with using the right amount of product.1 Only a small amount of adhesive is required, and the product can ooze off the denture if too much is applied.1 Always use as directed.
If you are looking for a seal strip that holds all day and is easy to apply, try Poligrip Comfort Seal Denture Adhesive Strips.4 Each strip is conveniently pre-measured and ensures mess-free application. When you’re ready to take your dentures out for the day, simply wipe the adhesive residue off and use a cleaning product like Polident 3-Minute Denture Cleanser to keep them fresh and clean while killing 99% of odor causing bacteria.*4
Another item that can help your denture discomfort is Poligrip’s Power Max Hold + Comfort. Thanks to a clinically proven 12-hour hold, you’ll be able to enjoy the foods you like without particles sneaking under your denture!
How to Apply Denture Seal Strips
Applying Poligrip Comfort Seal Denture Adhesive Strips is a straightforward process. Just follow these easy steps:1,3
- Clean and dry your dentures.
- With dry hands, peel open and remove strips.
- Lightly moisten one strip at a time with water.
- Place strips (as shown on product package) on your dentures, not too close to the edges. Do not overlap strips. (Tear strips as needed.)
- Rinse mouth with water before inserting dentures.
- Press dentures in place, hold firmly and bite down.
Refer to product packaging for complete directions for use.
With denture seal strips, you can be sure that you’re using the right amount of adhesive every day. Find more tips on maintaining your dentures from Polident.
*in laboratory studies