Looking after your dentures
The best way to keep your dentures working better for longer is to keep them (and your mouth) in tip-top shape. There are several things you can do to maintain your dentures and take good care of your whole mouth while you’re at it:
- Clean your dentures over a towel or bowl of water for a soft landing in case you drop them.
- Clean your dentures every day. It's important that your dentures are cleaned every day to remove plaque and trapped food to ensure a fresh-feeling mouth. A combination of soaking in a specialised solution like Polident, brushing and rinsing is often the best way to clean dentures.
- Always follow the pack instructions. The process will leave your dentures feeling fresh and help keep plaque and tartar at bay.
- Using a denture adhesive such as Polident can help seal out food particles so they don't get stuck under your dentures and cause irritation.
Looking after your natural teeth
To care for your natural teeth:
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Use aids such as dental floss or interdental brushes to remove food particles and plaque from between teeth and from the gum line.
- Change your toothbrush regularly. This should be done every three to four months, when the bristles begin to lose their shape.
- Speak to your dentist if you have any questions about brushing your natural teeth.
Your new dentures can help you feel more confident when it comes to speaking, eating and smiling. Looking after your dentures just as you would your natural teeth can go a long way in keeping them in their best condition – meaning a clean and healthy mouth and a happier you.