Looking after your dentures
Maintaining your dentures will help them to last longer, and allow you to you feel more confident that they are looking their best. If you’d like to improve your denture care routine, here are some simple tips to help:
- Clean your dentures over a towel or bowl of water for a soft landing in case you drop them.
- Use a denture tablet cleanser for a deep clean. Those offered in the Polident range, which will ensure 99.9% of odour-causing bacteria are eliminated* whilst following three steps: soaking, brushing and rinsing.
- After soaking, brushing your dentures with a soft bristle toothbrush to remove any debris. You should then rinse your dentures thoroughly.
- Always follow the pack instructions. The process will leave your dentures feeling fresh and help keep plaque and tartar at bay.
- Leave your dentures fully immersed in water when not wearing them, so they don’t dry out.
Using a denture adhesive such as Polident can help seal out food particles so they doesn’t get stuck under your dentures and cause irritation.
Looking after your natural teeth
To care for your natural teeth,
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Use aids such as dental floss or interdental brushes to remove food particles and plaque from between teeth and from the gum line.
- Change your toothbrush regularly. This should be done every three to four months, when the bristles begin to lose their shape.
- Speak to your dentist if you have any questions about brushing your natural teeth.
Your new dentures can help you feel more confident when it comes to speaking, eating and smiling. Looking after your dentures just as you would your natural teeth can go a long way in keeping them in their best condition – meaning a clean and healthy mouth and a happier you.
* Percentage achieved in laboratory tests