THE EFFECT OF DENTURES ON MY NATURAL TEETH
The most common types of dentures (false teeth) are complete dentures, which replace your upper and lower set of teeth, and partial dentures, which replace a few missing teeth by attaching onto any remaining natural teeth.
There are some steps you should take to ensure you are looking after both your natural teeth and your dentures to keep them in their best shape.
Looking after your dentures
Maintaining your dentures will help them to last longer, and allow you to feel more confident that they are looking their best. If you’d like to improve your denture care routine, here are some simple tips to help:
- When cleaning your dentures, do so over a towel or bowl of water for a soft landing in case you drop them.
- For a deep clean, you may like to use a denture cleanser tablet such as those offered in the Polident range, which will kill 99.9% of odour-causing bacteria* whilst following three steps: soaking, brushing and rinsing.
- After soaking, brushing your dentures with a soft bristle toothbrush will remove any debris. You should then rinse your dentures thoroughly. You should always follow the pack instructions and if so, the process will leave your dentures feeling fresh and help keep plaque and tartar at bay.
- Using a denture adhesive such as Polident Adhesive can help seal out food particles so it doesn’t get stuck under your dentures and cause irritation.
- It’s important to leave your dentures fully immersed in water when not wearing them, so they don’t dry out.
Looking after your natural teeth
You should make sure to brush your natural teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, as well as using interdental aids like floss, brushes etc to remove food particles and plaque from between teeth, and the gum line. Changing your toothbrush regularly is important and this should be done every three to four months, when the bristles begin to lose their shape. Speak to your dentist if you have any questions about brushing your natural teeth.
Your new dentures can help you feel more confident when it comes to speaking, eating and smiling. Looking after your dentures just as you would your natural teeth can go a long way in keeping them in their best condition – meaning a clean and healthy mouth and a happier you.
* Percentage achieved in laboratory tests
OTHER RELATED ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE
Polident Denture Adhesive Cream- Fresh Mint (GMD92437200117A) and Polident Denture Adhesive Cream- Flavour Free (GMD62208200217A) are registered under Act 737. MDAMD 0325/2022