What is denture adhesive?
Denture adhesives (also known as denture fixatives) are designed to hold dentures in place all day to keep you feeling secure and comfortable. They also protect from gum irritation by helping to seal out food particles, so you can eat, speak and smile with confidence.
How do denture adhesives work?
Polident Denture Adhesives contain two adhesive polymers, which expand as they absorb saliva. As they expand they interlock, creating a soft, flexible layer between your denture and gums for a comfortable fit and a strong hold and seal.
How do I use denture adhesive?
For advice on applying denture adhesive, always follow the instructions and guidance included on the pack. Here are some tips on how to apply Polident denture fixatives:
- Always clean and dry dentures first.
- Apply denture fixative cream in strips or as directed on the pack, not too close to the edge of the denture.
- Rinse your mouth before inserting dentures.
- Press dentures into place, hold firmly and bite down for a few seconds to secure hold.
- Apply once a day, if you find you need to apply more often consult your dentist.
- Remember that application instructions differ for complete and partial dentures so always check the pack for details.
- If you’re using denture adhesive for the first time, remember to only use a small amount as using too much can cause oozing. If this happens, apply less next time. It may take a few attempts to find the right amount for your denture.
How do I remove denture adhesive?
To remove denture adhesive, follow the instructions and guidance included on the pack. Directions include:
- First swish your mouth with warm water.
- Then use a gentle rocking motion to slowly remove your dentures.
- Use a soft bristle denture brush (not a toothbrush) and warm water to remove any residue.
- Follow up with a specialist cleanser to thoroughly clean your denture and then rinse with water. Polident Denture Cleanser cleans in a better way than regular toothpaste and kills 99% of odour-causing bacteria*.
The best way to remove denture adhesive from your gums and mouth is to gently brush your gums and the roof of your mouth with a soft brush and warm water.
Remember to always follow the instructions on pack or speak to a dental professional for advice.
*In laboratory tests.
When can I start using denture adhesive?
Even well-fitted dentures can take a while to get used to, and using denture adhesive can help to achieve all-day comfort. Once your dentist is happy with the fit of your dentures, you can start using denture adhesives to help hold your dentures firmly in place and to help block out irritating food particles.
Why should I use denture adhesives?
Secure, well-fitting dentures can help you take on everyday life as before, but denture adhesives can also help to:
- Hold your dentures firmly in place all day, so you can be reassured they won’t move or shift in your mouth. This allows you to speak clearly and smile without worrying about your dentures.
- Boost chewing power and helps stop food particles from getting stuck between your gums and dentures. This can help to prevent soreness and irritation and improve comfort, getting you back to sharing in the joy of food with your family and friends.
What denture adhesive should I be using?
Denture adhesives come in a range of different formats including denture cream – Polident has a few variants so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. Using a Polident adhesive product will provide strong all-day hold and help to block out irritating food particles that can cause discomfort.
If you wear dentures, either partial or full, Polident denture adhesives can help you to feel comfortable and secure, giving you the confidence to get on with living life to the full and relishing the joy of food with your friends and family.